With Halloween done and dusted, Newcastle’s Christmas scene is well and truly underway. We have listed just some of the many joyful treats that The Toon has to offer this festive season!
1) Christmas Markets – Whilst it comes every year, it is not one to miss. The Christmas market hosts many traders both local and international who set up their fantastic stalls at Monument with festive food, Christmas decorations and more to choose from!
2) Hadrian’s Tipi – An ideal location for a pit-stop during a long day of Christmas shopping, STACK hosts Hadrian’s Tipi; a hooded festive hideaway. It’s the perfect spot to sit by one of their indoor firepits and sip on a hot chocolate…or maybe something stronger!
3) Grainger Market – The famous Grainger Market is opening its doors later than usual on 7th November this year to accompany Newcastle’s Christmas light switch on. The night market is open until 8pm, with stalls and shops open for business for you to get some Christmas shopping done. This year, award-winning local singer Sam Fender is performing – you won’t want to miss it!
4) Pantomime – The annual pantomime at the Theatre Royal, Newcastle is a Christmas tradition loved by many. This year’s panto is Beauty and the Beast starring Theatre Royal’s renowned panto stars Danny Evans, Clive Webb and Chris Hayward.
5) Fenwick Window – The world-famous Fenwick’s window reveal is not one to miss this Christmas. This event is known throughout the North East for marking the beginning of the Festive season. The grand unveiling of the magical Christmas window display is different with every year that passes, however each year it is even more spectacular! This year the window is a tribute to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, make sure to check it out.
6) Ice Skating - Coming to Times Square this winter is the popular ice-skating rink. The rink opens on the 9th November and runs until 5th January 2020 and is the perfect festive destination for all ages. Why not make a day out of it and enjoy a visit to the Centre of Life too, for a discounted rate!